As one of the world’s leading experts in procrastination, I frequently come across ‘projects’ that I had hoped to accomplish but never quite got around to. One such project was to put together some notes for my friends after attending a Fireside where Julie B. Beck was the main speaker. Needless to say I never got around to it… until now, some four years later.
Anyway, one of my favorite things to do is scribble. I pride myself on almost always having writing implements on me and taking notes at most events I attend. So when the first thing that Sister Beck asked was who had come prepared with notepad and pencil, I was pretty chuffed. It’s not like I’m some super organized, got-it-together kinda gal. Quite the contrary. But this was a good note to start on.
I’m just going to share some of what she said and the impressions I received during that Fireside as I noted them (in bullet form because I really can’t bring myself to do it any other way).
So, without further ado:
- You can’t delegate your female responsibilities!
- Every sister is expected to lead and serve for good.
- The rising generations of Rebekahs and Isaacs are dependent on me.
- Regarding missions: ‘The Lord has already called your sons and daughters. The Prophet had affirmed that. Your job is to “pack their suitcase” with good spiritual and temporal habits.’
- This isn’t a time for wringing hands – It is a time for standing up in strength.
- Women have great power through using their faith.
- Regarding members who attend Wards and Branches as ‘out-of-bounds’ members: ‘We never turn people away!’ Help them gain their strength where they choose to go so that they can take that strength with them where it is needed when it’s their turn to uplift someone.
- Prioritize your day – Essential (spiritual needs like prayer and scripture), Necessary (temporal needs like food), and Nice-To-Do (everything else that needs your attention or fulfills you).
- Leave things better than when you found it.
- Prioritize and line up behind the Lord.
- There is not one single thing I can do to improve my stature in the the eyes of my Savior!
- You are on the right path, just STAY on it!
- A new season of strength and power is upon this part of Kingdom.
There were so many other wonderful things I learnt at that Fireside. I remember I was filled with a renewed desire to be counted as one of Heavenly Father’s faithful daughters here on earth.
I hope that what I’ve shared will be of some benefit to someone.
I love reflecting on each of these points and reassessing my life to see where I need to make adjustments and where I’ve acquired more strength. Even in the four short years since the fireside, I know that I’ve had a remarkable period of growth. I’m nowhere near where I want to be, but I’m definitely on my way. And that’s all that matters.